UCC Rules: How to Comply to Attach and Perfect Secured Transactions
Monday, August 3, 2020
2:30 pm – 4:30 pm Eastern
Many loans extended by commercial banks are secured by personal property, which is governed by Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC). The UCC governs secured transactions by taking most kinds of collateral for loans. It answers questions such as:
- How to protect rights to collateral against the claims of others
- How to describe collateral in security agreements and financing statements
- Where to file financing statements.
- Commercial/Consumer Lenders and Loan Administrators must understand Revised Article 9 as it relates to collateral attachment and perfection of personal property. We'll provide an overview of the UCC and focus on the most relevant factors bankers and administrators need to know to perform routine duties and protect the bank's security interests in assets taken as collateral. We'll focus on practical application of UCC rules.
- Highlights will include:
- Collateral covered by Revised Article 9
- Revised definitions of existing collateral covered by Revised Article 9
- Completing the Financing Statements properly
- Utilizing the proper collateral descriptions on Security Agreements and Financing Statements
- Filing the Financing Statements in the proper location and other areas of concern.
- Leave with an understanding of how to document, close and record secured transactions covered by Revised Article 9 of the UCC. Get good working knowledge for managing the most common commercial and consumer secured transactions governed by Revised Article 9.
- The Loan Documentation Process
- Collateral Definitions
- Attachment and Perfection Rules
- Collateral Descriptions on Security Agreements & UCC Financing Statements
- Completing the Financing Statements to avoid rejection and provide legal protection
- Filing the Financing Statement in the proper location depending upon the type of collateral obtained
- Review the major 2013 Amendments particularly as it relates to the name of the debtor to be used on a Financing Statement and maintaining perfection after a debtor changes their name or location
Who Should Attend?
Senior Credit Officers, Loan Officers, Loan Operations Personnel, Loan Administrative Assistants and Secretaries, Branch Managers, Loan Review Officers, and Compliance Officers
Jeffery W. Johnson
Jeffery W. Johnson started his career with SunTrust Bank in Atlanta as a Management Trainee and progressed to Vice President and Senior Lender of SouthTrust Bank and Senior Vice President and Commercial Banking Division Manager for Citizens Trust Bank of Atlanta.
Most of his career has been spent in Credit Administration, Lending, Business Development, Loan Review, Management and Training & Development. He has managed loan portfolios representing a cross section of loan types including: Large Corporate, High Net Worth Individual, Middle Market Companies, Small Business, Real Estate and Non-Profit Organizations.
Mr. Johnson is now a training professional in the financial industry by leading various seminars covering important topics relating to issues in financial institutions. He teaches actively for fifteen state banking associations in the United States, Risk Management Association (RMA) and individual financial institutions nationwide. He co-authored a training course entitled "Lending to Service and Other Professional Organizations" for RMA in 2001.
Mr. Johnson earned a B.A. Degree in Accounting from Morehouse College in Atlanta; a MBA in Finance from John Carroll University in University Heights, Ohio; Banking diploma from Prochnow School of Banking at the University of Wisconsin and a Graduate Certificate in Bank Management from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania.
Attendance verification for CE credits provided upon request.
Webinar Sponsored by Total Training Solutions
If you are having issues with registering online, please contact CBAO's Education, Training & Special Event Coordinator, Patti Webb, (614) 610-1877.
Live Plus Five – Attend the live event and receive five business days of unlimited access to the OnDemand Playback and links to presenter materials and supplementary handouts.
Live Plus Five (Additional Hookup) – Registering another banker from a different location for Live Plus Five.
OnDemand Recording – Receive unlimited access to the OnDemand Playback for 6 months and links to presenter materials and supplementary handouts. This option does not include live session attendance.
CD-ROM – Receive the webinar recording on a CD-ROM 7-10 business days after the Live event or your registration date (whichever is the latter). Receive unlimited access to the OnDemand Playback for 6 months and links to presenter materials and supplementary handouts. This option does not include live session attendance.
Live Plus Six – Attend the live event and receive six months of unlimited access to the OnDemand Playback and links to presenter materials and supplementary handouts.
Premier Package – Includes all three base options. Live attendance, OnDemand Playback for six months, and the CD-ROM.