Endorsements - Consumers, Businesses and Fiduciaries
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
2:30 pm – 4:30 pm Eastern
Understanding endorsements and handling checks is crucial to making sound check cashing decisions. A check is a unique type of contract where ownership can be transferred by way of the endorsement on the back of the item. This program will look at who has the right to endorse the back of the check and where is proper endorsement placement. We will also look at what happens if a check is not endorsed properly, when it may be best not to accept the check at all due to missing or problem endorsements, why we do not put business checks into personal accounts, and why we do not give less cash on business accounts. Many “tricky” issues will be discussed such as deceased customers, business accounts, endorsements for minors, income tax check endorsements, trustee endorsements and endorsements by powers of attorney. Learn the safe way to handle checks and be sure that you and your financial institution can be protected from loss on the negotiable instruments. You will not want to miss this webinar! The information provided will produce confidence and a thorough understanding of the legal issues of endorsements.
- Who is the person entitled to endorse the check?
- What is a valid endorsement?
- Bearer verses Order Checks
- Who is the holder of a check, and what is the holder in due course?
- Ambiguous endorsements
- Endorsements for minors, deceased parties, business accounts
- Witnessed endorsements
- Check cashing issues for business accounts
- Endorsements on income tax checks
- Trustee and power of attorney endorsements
- The simplest rule about checks that will save your financial institutions thousands of dollars!
- The connections between checks and account agreements if you have not signed the signature card you cannot get the money
- Postdated, stale dated, erasures, alterations and more lessons we need to learn
- Why your institution needs to know about the negligence rule and the bank statements rule
- Should we check endorsements and sent them back as “missing”?
- Treasury checks, postal money orders and other special checks
- Why we absolutely do not give cash back, cash or deposit into personal accounts checks made payable to a business.
Who Should Attend?
This webinar will benefit tellers, head tellers, cashiers, managers, branch operations, bookkeeping, compliance officer who approve checks and deposit representative who work with checks and accounts.
Deborah Crawford is the President of Gettechnical Inc., a Virginia based training company. She specializes in the deposit side of the financial institution and is an instructor on IRAs, BSA, Deposit Regulations and opening account procedures. She was formerly with Hibernia National Bank (now Capital One) and has bachelor's and master's degrees from Louisiana State University. She has 30+ years of combined teaching and banking experience.
Attendance verification for CE credits provided upon request.
Webinar Sponsored by Total Training Solutions
If you are having issues with registering online, please contact CBAO's Education & Training Coordinator, Lianne Simeone, (614) 610-1877.
|Live On-Demand Link: Live,On Demand playback, and CD-ROM plus hard copy Handouts.
Live Webinar: Register for the live event and get five days access to the On Demand Playback. You’ll have an opportunity to ask questions during the presentation and be free to review the content for the next 5 (business) days Registration also includes links to presenter materials, handouts, and pdfs.
Additional Hookups: Registering another banker from a different location
On-Demand Link & "Free" CD-ROM: Both live webinar & recorded webinar + free digital download